Youth Experiences and Play

Daycare
As a child I attended daycare. I went to daycare from when I was two years old to when I was 10 years old. Experiencing daycare as a young child provided me a lot of opportunity for play. My daycare mom always encouraged play, and socialization. As a child I played house and school. Using play as a child gives the child a role of empowerment and control and I experienced this as a child. 

School
I have worked in a school setting as a volunteer for my field work experience. Although, during this time play was not exercised I have witnessed children make their own play. One thing I have noticed throughout all of my experiences working with youth, is that there is always one dominant child in a play group. This is the child who takes on a leadership role, and makes up the rules. This reminded me of the term "social power" that Corsaro used in the article. Socio-dramatic play is what I often saw while working in the school setting. 

After school program (Internship) 
As an after school program teacher, I witness a lot of play. In the age group I work with (3-5 years) I witness a lot of socio-dramatic play. Just yesterday I heard one of my students say to her friend "no i'll be the mommy because I act like a mommy all the time" I enjoy listening to what the children say to each other and see what kind of play they engage in. I believe it is so important to allow them to engage with each other and allow them to feel that power and control.






Comments

  1. Julie! I liked how you talked about yourself at daycare. I didn't even think to write that in my blog. I agree, children do make up their own play especially when given materials.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts